Sunday, January 19, 2014

Career Advice for a Younger Me

They say hindsight is always 20/20. So true. If I could go back in time and give my high school self some career advice, I would recommend three jobs to him that he should choose.

Yes, this would technically mean my current self would disappear forever. Also, I'm not saying I'm unhappy with how things turned out for myself. I just know I could have done more had I found the proper motivation years ago. So without further ado, here are three career paths I would recommend to my younger, arrogant, clueless self.

Airline Pilot

I know two airline pilots. One is happily married, has three kids, is paying for a nice house and lot in a nice village somewhere in Laguna, has a family car, has gotten his wife her own car, and owns his own "toy car." The toy car being a car he bought and restored with his own money. They have the latest gadgets and him and his wife travel to nice places once in a while.

The other pilot, as far as I know, is single. He owns two amazing cars, and has had upgraded big brake kits placed on one of them. I think you can see where I am going with this.

Being a pilot will satisfy two cravings I have. The first, obviously, is money. Pilots earn a lot of money that they can use for whatever wants or needs they have. The second craving that will be satisfied is my desire to travel.

Doctor of Medicine

Doctors also satisfy two of my cravings. Again, money is the first. The second is fulfillment. Helping others, saving lives, making others well again. Those are things that make one feel good at the end of the day. Plus I'd also be continuing a Nañagas legacy. My paternal grandfather was a doctor. Two of my dad's siblings are doctors. Unfortunately, none of my cousins has decided to take up medicine, so it probably ends there. I should have continued the tradition, but I was too much of a p*ssy in high school. Scared of blood and too stuck in my comfort zone.

Chef

I love food, either eating it or cooking it. I thought about becoming a chef in high school, but again my comfort zone prevented me from being open-minded about studying abroad. Dumb-ass that I was.

Being a chef doesn't exactly guarantee the amount of money a pilot or a doctor could get. But it would satisfy my love of food.

Again, I'm not saying I'm unhappy with where I am now. I just like to look back and think what could have been. Like that famous line says, "I coulda been a contender."

I'm just thankful now that despite my age my vision and focus are a lot clearer than when I was younger. And I am now taking serious steps to achieve my goals in life.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)