Sunday, December 29, 2013

Top Five Hatchbacks I'd Want to Own

Hot hatches are pretty popular, not just in the Philippines but also worldwide. Here's a quick post of the top five hatches sold locally that I would want to own. I'll still be using the same considerations I have for family cars. Space, practicality, looks, etc.

1. Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatchback A/T

So much for practicality. This car is both expensive and too high-powered as a daily driver. However, the STi has been a dream car of mine since I got bitten by the car bug in Gran Turismo 2. The STi looks mean, seats five, and has amazing performance. So yes, this is the hatchback I would most like to own. And by the way, I'll be wanting the automatic transmission so I won't be as hassled in Metro Manila's horrible traffic conditions.

2. Kia Rio 5-door 1.4L A/T

This is the next hatchback I'd like to own. A big step down from the STi, I know. But this one wins it on looks. It reminds me a lot of the VW Golf and VW Polo hatchbacks. Very European in styling, with a decent sized 1.4L engine that seems very practical for the streets here. The rear seats also fold 60/40 so it can still haul long packages, provided it fits.

3. Honda Jazz 1.5L A/T

Ever since the first version of the Jazz came out here in the Philippines I'd always been a fan. It seems perfectly designed to me. It has decent space and height inside, it looks great outside, and it certainly is a very practical car to own. The only reason this falls below the Rio is I like the Rio's looks better.

4. Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost with Powershift

Now we're talking practicality. The Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost engine makes this the most practical choice among the five hatchbacks I want. I'd always liked the way the Fiesta looks, and Ken Block made me an even bigger fan. As an aside, a client at work owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta and he purchased a big brake kit for the front wheels, so I'm guessing it's also fun to drive.

5. Toyota Yaris 1.5L A/T

The Yaris rounds out this list. It doesn't seem as spacious as the other cars above, and it doesn't look as great as the others either. But I do like this more than the other hatches available in the market. And I do still have some loyalty to Toyota because of my family's experience with their cars.

Why didn't I include European hatches? Because honestly, I'm still not that big a fan of the available European cars here (BMW and Audi). If the VW Golf was here it would easily crack the top five.

The Honda CR-V also didn't make the cut since it really isn't that spacious. It's basically a 3-door, 2+2 seater. All the other cars in my list are 5-doors.

The Suzuki Swift also didn't make the cut because I like the Yaris better. I'm not a big fan of the Hyundais, and the Ford Focus was something I never considered.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)