Friday, November 08, 2013

The Beetle Baja Plan

I think I've been to focused on getting a picture a day that I've gotten bored of it. Plus the fact that I've been stuck at home the past two months adds monotony to the pictures I can take. Or maybe it's just because I've been lazy. Either way, I thought I'd blog about something different. Instead of the Project 365 blog I've decided to write about a more concrete plan for my Beetle Baja dreams.

As you all know I've been obsessed with the Baja Bug for a few years now. And I've always had ideas on what I want it to look like or how I plan on building it. But it's always been vague. Well not anymore. Here are the steps I plan to do if I can make this dream a reality.

As a caveat, before I can even do this I would need money, space to park the Bug, technical know-how, and maybe contacts who can do the stuff I couldn't do.

  1. Purchase. You can't build a Baja Bug without a Bug. Preferably buy two Bugs, one in good running condition and one donor car.
  2. Disassemble. Remove the body, remove the fenders, remove electrical, remove the engine. Remove everything. But of course, remember to take pictures so you can remember how to put them back together.
  3. Restore. Remove rust everywhere, fix dents and dings, overhaul the engine, fix all electrical stuff. Just make sure things are back to reliable working order. Also, rust-proof and paint the floor plan. Fix other mechanical stuff, like transmission, brakes, suspensions. Replace old, worn out parts and components.
  4. Modify and upgrade. Chop the fenders. Modify the body to make it look more like a Baja. Upgrade the suspension. Modify the engine to whatever set-up I want. Convert brakes to all-wheel discs. Use steel-lined brake hoses. Upgrade car's lighting, both front and back. Get a new gas tank. Upgrade electrical system, use alternator, add insulators to battery (I heard that there were times the Beetles would catch fire because of the battery's location).
  5. Beautify. Paint the body. Upgrade rims (banana type or baja type rims). Have custom roof rack built. Have custom front and rear tube bumpers built.
  6. Reassemble. Put everything back together correctly.
  7. Interiors. New front seats, preferably sport seats. Re-upholstered rear seats. Add in-car entertainment. Add clear tint to windows. New dials for a modified dash. Maybe cup-holders. Definitely cup-holders. LED interior map lights. Add in-car heat insulation.
  8. Drive. Test run, then use as a daily driver. Enjoy.
As you can see, the plan still isn't finalized. But at least I now have a more concrete idea of the process I'd want in case I have the resources to achieve this dream of mine.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)