Monday, November 11, 2013

122, 123/365 - Earthbag Homes and The Philippines

122/365 - Sleeping Nero
Sleeping Nero.
123/365 - Throwback Mondays
High School IDs. Days with the Lord on the left, Summer Enrichment Program on the right.
Note: My post has no connection with the pics above. These are my ramblings regarding earthbag homes and why I totally believe in the concept.

The recent super typhoon Yolanda (aka Haiyan internationally) that hit the Philippines, along with the earthquake that hit Bohol a few weeks before, made me think about earthbag homes. I had read about earthbag homes years before via the internet, and I thought it would be a cheaper, earthquake and weather-resistant alternative for housing here.

Even if they weren't built as permanent housing, these earthbag homes could still be used as temporary shelter against the elements for the thousands of Filipinos who have lost their homes to either Typhoon Yolanda or the earthquake.

I read an article that gave me hope. Apparently Mr. Illac Diaz, more known for his solar bottle bulb, had built an earthbag home somewhere in the Philippines before. Based on the article, only one house was built and is now in a state of disrepair.

I thought it was a shame that the earthbag home did not take off. The domed design would allow strong winds to flow around the design instead of buffeting it. The sturdy earthbag construction would make it more earthquake resistant. Plus the unique look makes it, personally, more of a home and less of a house.

Unfortunately I read from another article that, "A leak could soften the soil and cause the dome to collapse, so the fill soil has to be stabilized, which adds to the labor and expense." So building earthbag homes isn't as simple as I thought, since you still needed to weather-proof the bags of earth. I'm guessing it would still be a safer alternative to some of the homes some of my countrymen live in.

However, I do think that with proper research and funding earthbag homes can be adapted for use in the Philippines. I just hope someone can revive this idea and push it nationally. Let's hope that whoever does it doesn't get caught up in corruption and red tape.

Mr. Illac Diaz, I hope you can revive your earthbag home idea. If you need help, drop me a line. I'm just an ordinary Filipino citizen,  but I sincerely believe in this earthbag home concept. And I will help you any way I can.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)