Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Territory

Recently I had to move to my in-laws' with my wife and daughter because my room at home was being renovated. The old cabinets were being torn down and new ones were going to be built. We needed more space, the old cabinets weren't big enough. Plus the fact that two more people now use the cabinets instead of me alone, it was definitely time for some renovations.


So right now I'm in my in-laws' house. Been here since last Saturday. We're sleeping over at the extra room they have (it used to be my wife's room when she was still single) and now I realize why my wife was acting the way she was at my house.


You do get uncomfortable in places which aren't your "territory."


I can't move freely here, I can't do what I usually do at home. It's not that they're strict here. It's just that I don't feel comfortable doing the things I usually do at home here. In Filipino we call it nahihiya. Literally translated that means getting shy. But I'm sure you get my drift.


I'm a guest here, no matter what people say. Yes, I'm they're son-in-law, but I'm still a guest. I still have to abide by their rules and I still have to get along with them. It's still their house.


And that's exactly how my wife feels when we're at home. I guess I have to do something about that when we get back home. Make her feel more at home and less like a "guest."


I can't wait to get home. This Sunday at the latest. Maybe Friday night at the earliest. Ideally Saturday, so that my daughter doesn't have to get stressed during the travel at night. She's still a week shy of being two months old.


Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)