Thursday, February 03, 2011

Not a Big Fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion

Let me make one thing clear. I really don't like Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think it's the original series, not the reboot or whatever you call it.


It's probably because I'm too old, but I really think it's an annoying, pretentious anime.


Oh, spoiler alert. I will be mentioning reasons why I don't like Eva (as it is sometimes called) and I will be using examples that can be found in later episodes of the series.


Why do I find it annoying? Let me count the ways.

  • Ikari Shinji is an emo kid. He lacks confidence and stays inside his own shell due to some issues he has in life.
  • Asuka Langley. When I was in high school, my classmates used to fawn over her. I find her an annoying bitch. Overconfident, cocky, trying to act too mature for her age. Yet when things don't go her way she starts losing her confidence and acting like Shinji. Then near the end you find out the reason why she was acting that way.
  • Rei Ayanami. No problems with her, surprisingly. EXCEPT SHE'S A F*CKING CLONE OF SHINJI'S MOM (I did say I'd be giving away some spoilers).
  • Shinji's dad. I forgot his name. What a jackass. Abandoning his kid because his wife dies? Yeesh.
Now why do I find it pretentious?
  • Well they do use a lot of Christianity based names. I have no idea why. Maybe they thought it would sound cool, the same way Western shows use Japanese terms to make the show sound cool.
  • They seem to be trying to put a lot of hidden meanings in the show. Just keep it simple, like Getter Robot or Mazinger Z. Aliens attack and giant robots fight it. It could've gone this way - an alien attacks, the Evas fight it. Along the way they discover the enemy adapts to their attacks and so they have to adapt too.
  • The whole "humanity has to evolve" bit.
Maybe I'm just too old. The theme and the side stories didn't suit me well. But I can imagine enjoying this anime had I seen this when I was in high school.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)