Sunday, September 24, 2023

[1020] Practical Daily Driver

If you've been regularly reading this blog you'll know I've been considering getting a more practical, fuel-efficient, second-hand car. You'll also know I've considered the Japan surplus converted Suzuki Every Van/Wagon. I'm pretty sure you also know that one of the attainable dream cars of mine is a Honda Jazz GE, the second generation Jazz.

Now, the re-sale value of the Jazz here is pretty high. I'm seeing ten-year old models and older selling for almost the same amount as a 2016 Toyota Wigo. And these expensive Honda Jazz aren't even the top-of-the-line variants with the 1.5L engine and CVT transmission. I've seen 1.3L variants that are north of PhP400,000.00 and that's just a bit too much for me.

My biggest concern with getting a used Honda Jazz is the reliability. Who owned it, did they take good care of it, does it have issues that are about to show up but haven't yet? I haven't even factored in the question of buying from a private seller or from a used-car dealer. Will they allow me to have the car inspected before I make an offer?

Second concern would be maintenance. If I do end up buying a Honda Jazz that passes a mechanic's inspection I'm pretty sure I'd have it sent straight to a shop to have PMS (preventive maintenance schedule) done on it and to just make sure everything is fine. Once PMS is done I'd probably need to make sure the tires are still good. Basically spend additional amount just to make sure the car will be relatively headache free moving forward.

Once I'm pretty confident that the practical, fuel efficient car is ready for the daily grind only then would I start saving again for mods and improvements. An android head unit, better speakers, stick some blind-spot mirrors on the side mirrors, make sure the headlight plastic is still relatively clear, maybe non-stock rims.

Of course this plan of mine is pretty generic. I'll be doing this to any car I eventually purchase, as long as I break out of my analysis paralysis (if I'm using that term right). It applies if I get the Honda Jazz, a Suzuki Every Van, a Toyota Wigo, a Mitsubishi Mirage, or a Toyota Yaris.

Out.