Sunday, June 01, 2014

Modding My 2001 Rav4

Lately I've been thinking about what I can do to modify the Rav4. Part of the credit (or blame) goes to my officemates.

One of them is selling a 3S-GE BEAMS engine. Without getting too technical, that engine can fit in the Rav4 and produces about 180HP on an automatic transmission. Imagine what more you can get out of it if you can upgrade the air intake, air filter, headers, and exhaust.

I certainly can't think of an engine swap without first making sure the brakes and suspension can handle the extra power and torque. I was thinking of upgrading to coilovers so I can adjust how high or how low the Rav will stand. It can also help with how firm or how soft the damping is. That means for daily driving I can go with the stock ride height and softer damping, and when I want to track the Rav I can lower the ride height and stiffen the shocks for better handling.

Braking is also important. I don't know what kind of brake upgrade I can install, but I definitely want to make sure the stock brakes can at least handle the stopping needs. If I have to upgrade it has to be a reliable and safe braking system. I wish Brembo made GT Kits for the Rav, alas it doesn't. I won't put any experimental braking system on the car. My best bet would be sports discs and better gripping brake pads. And of course, steel braided brake lines.

I was also thinking of upgrading the interior. A new sound system with improved speakers would be a nice start. Then replace both front seats with sports or racing seats to make the car lighter. Possibly upgrade the front seat belts also without sacrificing the ability to sit in the back row.

Of course all of these upgrades are purely theoretical. I don't have the financial freedom to do any of the above mentioned. However, I can always dream and keep a plan in mind in case I find some spare cash to modify my car. I mean, my Mom's car that I always use.

Out.