Monday, October 03, 2005

Getting Monkeys Off My Back

Finally. After x number of months, two commercials I worked on have finally aired.

Two monkeys off my back.

You see, even if I never showed it, not airing those two commercials severely affected my confidence at work. My officemate Portia gave me some good advice when I told her how much it bothered me. She said something like, "You gave them what they wanted. You did everything they asked. They haven't complained about what you did, its in their hands now."

And she was right. But still. It bothered me. Usually commercials take us one to two months to create then it airs a few days (to a few weeks) after we make them. But not these two. One of them was from last year. November to December. Got put on hold. February to March I had to work on it again. Finished it in the deadline they wanted. They accepted and all. Never showed. And this was a project which was mine. I wasn't helping out anyone. It was given to me. I handled it and made it.

The other one was a group effort. But it was my scene which had all the revisions. Two months worth actually. It was going around in circles.

Stuff like that can ruin my confidence. Is it something about me? Is it something with what I've created? I did as the director asked. I followed my officemates' suggestions. Everything was great and yet revisions kept coming.

Damn.

And once the online got finished they didn't even air them. Months passed. Sure I've forgotten about them and moved on to the game. But I've been afraid of doing commercials since. What if it gets held again? And that happened. Again. To this test we were supposed to do. I did as asked. I passed it. Its up to them now, I guess. What bothers me is that it seems that every commercial I've recently helped out in gets held. Is it a jinx? Or is it a problem with the ad agency and their client? We're just "suppliers" who give them what they want. They need a 3D plane? Butterflies to pop out of a mug? A dragon tossing a pretzel? You got it.

Now why won't they air it at once? I can understand one of the reasons. The new packaging wasn't done yet and the labels they gave us were the new ones. But the other two? One was supposed to be released during the first weeks of summer and the other was just a test, dammit!

Oh well. I've found solace in games. At least the deadlines are weekly. And the client has always approved the work Kem and I have done. But lately I've been "longing" (for lack of a better word) to work on a commercial again.

And if it gets held again, tough. Another monkey'll just climb on my back.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)