Saturday, May 21, 2005

A Rant on Work

Okay. It's like this. Most of the 3D artists working here in Manila are veterans. And most of them came from just one company. The first. The pioneer. They are pioneers.

Despite their differing backgrounds they all shared one common thing. They were all pioneers of 3D. And they all share that bond, that no matter how different they are in beliefs, that bond will keep them together, in a way.

So what happens when a new grad of a hotshot course in computer animation suddenly enters a company with veterans? Well for one thing, the newbie has to earn the respect of the veterans. Not by being cocky and hotshot, but by being a team player. By being open to their teachings, and by being competent enough to hold their ground and prove that they can hang with the big boys.

In my case its been a year since I've been working. And I'm still trying to prove to them that I can be like them. Good. Passionate. Amazing. So far its been positive. I've been able to show that I can perform at a high level and get approval, not only from them, but from our directors also.

One cannot hope to be in good terms with the 3D artists if one tries to show them up, despite the fact that those guys are, well, gods. They started things here. The edge they have in terms of experience is way way way too great. Even if you studied a course related to what they do. Why? Because these guys love their job. And these guys are passionate about it. And these guys have been working in this industry for so many years that they know a lot more tricks than someone who just graduated.

What's the best thing to do when you get an opportunity to work with these people? Learn. Be humble. Earn their respect. Don't force yourself into the group or you will regret it. And never rest on your laurels. Because if you earn their respect and you start relaxing, you'll lose it just like that.

My mom told me that no matter what job you have, if the $hit hits the fan the job sucks. You'll be down and pissed. But once you overcome the problems, you've got the best job in the world. And I agree. I've had my ups and downs in 3D. But this job is the best job I can think of. If I were to go through all this again, I'd gladly do it. The only thing I'd change? I'd be more humble than ever, and more hardworking than ever.

3D. Best job in the world.

1 comment:

  1. pauline here! galingan mo pa lalo sa work mo pare. louie (from UPS din dati) is coming to the philippines on june 17. get together kayo nila marko. dalin nyo si louie sa maraming chikas, boys night out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)