Saturday, February 24, 2007

Music

Music.

The past few weeks I've had a gradual change of music taste. Specifically driving music taste.

I know listen to 105.1 (it's mostly jazz, I don't remember the station name). NU 107.5? I rarely, rarely, listen to that station anymore.

Maybe it's because I've gotten sick and tired of their DJs and how annoying they are. Or maybe it's because most of the local music I hear being played aren't as good as the older local songs. Its either I've heard the song before (a remake), or they're trying to sound foreign (Brit accent, Jamaican accent, whatever), or they're using literary prose as lyrics.

Where's the originality? It's like the band decided the best way to get noticed in the music scene would be to take someone else's song and use it for their own. I don't care if you changed the arrangement or what, if it's for a tribute album then it's okay. But if you release it as a single from your own album, no thanks. I've heard that song before and it DEFINITELY sounded better than your own version.

Where's the originality? Taking lines from literary works? Adding melody but using famous lines? Rhyme without reason? Rage against the dying of the light? Why, that's goddamn brilliant! Brilliant, I tell thee, brilliant! I could just take some lines from Shakespeare's sonnets or Edgar Allan Poe's poems and just add a catchy tune and I could be rich, goddamn rich!
No thanks.

If the direction of local music is headed towards stuff like that, nevermind. Our musicians now would just become performing musicians. To call them artists would be an insult to real artists who have creativity and originality. I'd rather hear original musical works rather than remakes of old songs. Stop riding on the coattails of those who came before you. *cough*Nina*cough*MYMP*cough*

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)