Sunday, March 04, 2007

Abandon Ship

Last night my girlfriend and I met up with a friend of mine, who introduced us to her friend. Her friend was looking for a job abroad, and my friend was just biding her time before going to a job she found abroad.

What I noticed from the conversation we had last night was the fact that both my girlfriend and my girl friend were both happier abroad. They were earning dollars, they were able to buy whatever they wanted. Stuff like that.

I'm not saying it's wrong to leave the country. Hell, I'm planning on doing that also. It just saddens me that more and more people are sharing in the sense of hopelessness about this country. It's not that they've given up on the Philippines, more like they've decided the only way to fulfill their dreams is to work somewhere else where they get paid what they are actually worth.

And it's true. Even I know this for a fact.

The only difference with me and my girlfriend is that she wants to come back here to retire. I don't. If I find a job abroad and eventually become an immigrant, then a citizen of whatever country I choose to work for then I'm never going back. Vacations yes but to retire here? No.

I don't care if I'll be able to buy more things with my money here, I've seen this place already. There's no hope. The mentality of the people here is, as long as I can get away with it I will. From basic driving courtesies, to falling in line to ride the bus or an escalator, people will always, ALWAYS try to get ahead. And what for?

We're all greedy here, and almost no one follows the law because they know they just have to pay someone off if they get caught.

Not exactly my idea of a perfect retirement place.

I'd rather go somewhere where people follow rules, are considerate of other people, even if it costs more. It will be worth it.

Here? No thanks.

Now all I have to do is find someone who will hire me.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)