Friday, February 09, 2007

Fare Thee Well, O Noble Steed

Last September 2006 the last production Ford GT rolled off the assembly line. Ford will stop producing this car which I greatly admire (and wish I owned). The run is over, and I won't be surprised if the values of the existing GTs increases instead of decreases.

I started noticing the Ford GT when I was playing Gran Turismo 2 on the PSX. It was the original car, the one the GT was based on - the Ford GT-40. Everyone was telling me that it was a wild car and very hard to drive. But It looked nice. It reminded me of Speed Racer's car, the Mach 5. Only this one was real, and it was more menacing. Looking at it even while parked gave you a sense of it's immense speed.

When I got some tuning tips in GT2 from my friend, I immediately bought and tuned a Ford GT-40 road car. And started taming the beast. Winning all the MR races got me a Ford GT-40 race car and I was in heaven.

Getting the hang of the car, my greatest accomplishment in GT2 was winning an endurance race on Apricot Hill using the GT-40 race car. My reward? A Lancia Stratos.

Two mid-engined rear wheel drive cars that look similar but aren't.

Back to the GT.

It's gone. If ever I make enough money I hope I can buy a used Ford GT, or even a kit car. Because that car has it all.

Looks. Power. Performance. Speed. Pedigree.

And now it's gone.

I'll always have games. Toys. And dreams. And 3D.

GTv04

I've tried modeling the GT-40 4 times. FOUR. The first time I knew nothing of how to model a car. The second time I tried using a tutorial I picked up, but due to projects at the office I had to stop. The third time I used the same one piece technique to model the car and finished it, even rendered it. But it wasn't that great. Still had lot to learn. The fourth?

I'm still working on the fourth. Using patch modeling techniques to detail the car more and make it a bit more realistic. I have more control now over the final look thanks to experience also.

But I've only finished the part of the rear, one door and part of the body. It is the best looking among the four, though.

All hail the Ford GT.

Blings


Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)