Monday, August 07, 2006

Terrawars: New York Invasion

A year or so ago I was working on a PC game. Holy Cow, the company I work for, was subcontracted to create models for a game being created by Filipinos. The game?

Terrawars: NY Invasion

You may remember a link my blog had. The one below, War of the Worlds? That was Terrawars' first name. I guess they had to change it for legal reasons or whatnot.

We did have a good time working on the models. I learned how to be frugal with faces/triangles in the models I did, I also learned how to optimize spaces available for the textures. It was a good learning experience. I even learned how to do FK animation (which is more tedious, albeit more controlled, in my opinion, than IK animation).

Anyway that was that. We did the job and moved on. Lo and behold I was browsing through gametrailers.com today and what do I see in the latest updates section?

A downloadable video review of the Terrawars: NY Invasion.

So I downloaded it. And while downloading I was curious as to how the game did, since I forgot to check the rating for it at the game's page in gametrailers. So I googled the game. I saw one other review. From gamespot.

So I click on the link and read the review. The rating was 2.6 - Terrible. Shucks. Gamespot said the voice acting was bad and that it was obvious that the actors weren't American. The Filipino accent was thick. Duh. The voice actors were Mike Enriquez and Vicky Morales. No American accents there. And the characters were supposed to be American.So I can't blame gamespot for what they said about that.

Gameplay and other graphics? Mostly negative reviews.


"Terrawars: New York Invasion is a terrible game that should be avoided. The visuals are dated, the gameplay is repetitive and simple, the multiplayer is worthless, and the story is nonexistent. Even at $20, Terrawars is a rip-off."

That was the conclusion gamespot gave the game.

As for the video review from gametrailers? 3.1 rating. Ouch.

What am I trying to say? The game did poorly. It was already intended to be a budget game yet the two reviews I read both said it was still a rip-off at $20. I just hope the company that did this game will learn from their mistakes and improve on the next few games that they plan to build. Because I know for a fact that they are in production already for another first-person shooter game. How do I know this? Because we also did a few models for that game.

And they didn't even get my family name right. They spelled it "Nanangas".

It's "Nañagas".

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)