Friday, December 09, 2005

A Real Early Rant

3:16am. Work. Awake. Rendering. Compositing. Rendering. Again.

I've only had 1 1/2 hours of sleep. From 1am to 2:30am. Just enough to taste the sweet nectar of rest before being shocked back to reality by my officemates (whom I requested to wake me up at said time). Since then I've been working. Burning the midnight oil. Whatever that means.

I don't mind doing this. It's part of my job. I chose this. So why am I bitching? Why not? I know how it goes, about me choosing this so why bitch when I put myself in this situation. It's about the situation that I'm pissed off at right now.

It's about the client. How he saw what we did last Monday (had to work Saturday AND Sunday for that) and only gave revisions on Wednesday. The product is due later today, Friday. Plus Thursday night he sends a few more revisions, just for good measure.

Perfect.

I know that I'm in the "service" industry. Where we are supposed to provide what is needed for clients. In this case, 3D animated whatevers. And that usually means we're at the bottom of the totem pole. So whatever they want we have to deliver. Nevermind the cost. If we have to sleep everyday just to deliver so be it.

Right.

People can be assholes. Specially those people who are higher up in the totem pole but not totally at the top. The people at the top (the client) usually make demands which are somewhat outrageous to the people below them (the ad agency). The latter, in turn, vent their frustration out at the people below them. That would be us. Sad.

But I'm not saying that's what usually happens. Usually the ad agencies have our back. Once they like our work they defend it to the clients.

Unless the client is boneheaded or stupid. Then whatever they approved before becomes a flaw the next time they see it.

They think that just because we use computers it means that it'll be as simple as snapping your fingers to do what they want.

They don't see the time it takes to do 3D. The time, effort, stress and whatnot just to create a simple animation. And they ask us to "revise" it when in reality the revisions they seek require major changes to the model and to the animation.

Perfect.

Enough. Back to work.

Out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    my new blog address is: http://grubbysneakers.blogspot.com/

    Please change your link accordingly :)

    Thanks,

    Marko

    formerly: http://markoboyd421.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes... 'revisions' - in our industry - can't live with it... can't live with out it...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)