Thursday, June 02, 2005

Confessions of a Frustrated Guitarist

Damn. I'm 24 now turning 25. I've got a good job, and I'm earning good cash. I'm also at the point where my responsibilities are now greater than ever.

And now I get better at playing the guitar.

I started with my fascination in guitars in grade school. Grade 6. 1993. Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, they were my idols. I picked up a guitar, learned the basic power chord shape, and I thought I was the best guitarist in the world.

High school came along. So did Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath. Now I shifted to "playing lead guitar". Thinking I could do guitar noodling, thinking I was the best. I didn't need practice. The emotions will guide me. I was a metalhead.

College came around. Dave Matthews Band, Wolfgang, and Parokya ni Edgar dominated my CD player.

Detour to Naga, where I became enamored with Wolfgang's Acoustica album. Even learned some of their songs with my roommate Geem, jamming. Still I "played" lead. Still, no practice. Hey, I read a few magazine articles about how to play. Even got a mag about how to play jazz, so my "solos" and my "licks" were jazzy/bluesy. At least they sounded like that because I was just re-hashing what I learned. Adding bits of experimentation here and there, sounding nice.

And now I'm working. Too old to think I can still have a music career. Too old to dream about forming a band. And now, I play guitar to relieve stress. Now I practice the finger exercises. Now I take it slowly, realizing I'm no Petrucci. Iommi even. Now I just play to relax. I can't even play now, since every time I pick up my guitar I just do the finger exercises I learned from Doug Marks and John Petrucci. I don't even remember most of the songs I used to play. So I practice. When its all to late, I practice.

AND NOW, OF ALL TIMES, IS THE ONLY TIME I CAN PLAY THE FIRST SOLO IN METALLICA'S ONE. Dammit. And not only that, if I had my electric guitar with me I'd be able to play the SECOND SOLO as well. Because only now are my fingers getting faster and more coordinated.

Dammit. Why did I only start practicing now?!?

Oh, well.

1 comment:

  1. I am a "frustrated" guitarist as well. Started playing in college but have discontinued when I started working.

    I guess it's never too late anyway to start pursuing it again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)