Saturday, September 28, 2024

[1098] 2024 Toyota Wigo G CVT

My family recently purchased a brand new 2024 Toyota Wigo G CVT. These are the reasons why we chose to get this vehicle.

  • Practicality. We needed a car that could bring my wife and daughter to where they needed to go everyday. The car can seat four adults, or five but tight. It has enough trunk space to hold the usual stuff you bring to school and/or work.
  • Fuel efficiency. So far the Wigo has been averaging around 10 - 11 km/L of fuel every week. This includes four work days, and it only usually doesn't go out on its number coding day. This is way better than our old 2001 Toyota Rav4 that usually averages around 6 km/L of fuel. That's almost double the distance you can travel on one liter of gas.
  • Reliability. The "newest" car we previously had was 2011. The Rav4 was starting to break down (issues included replacing ignition coils and a refurbishment of the transmission). We needed a car that we would be confident wouldn't have surprise issues any time.
  • Price. The Wigo G sells for PhP729k. I originally wanted the Wigo E which goes for PhP684k but since this was a family decision we decided on the higher spec model. No regrets. Except the color for me personally. Technically we were fine with the Wigo E but since the only color available was yellow it was only me who wanted it. We settled for grey metallic for the Wigo G. Again, it's a family decision.
Now you may be wondering why not just go for a used car? To be honest I was also looking at used cars and I was seriously considering getting one. However, the biggest reason why I chose not to get a used car is fuel efficiency. Yes I could have gotten a bigger vehicle with the same budget. However the vehicles I was looking at all had relatively poor fuel consumption. Some got 7 - 8 km/L which is still better than the Rav4, but not as efficient as the Wigo. And currently with fluctuating prices of gasoline I'd rather get the most efficient vehicle we could afford.

Then the available cars at my budget were a wee bit too old for my taste, usually seven years or older. If I looked at smaller cars, around Wigo or Vios sized, then to be honest it was still, at least for me, the better bang for the buck to go with a brand new car.

Finally, why didn't I go with the Suzuki S-Presso or the Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback? Well for the former it was a safety thing. The Wigo is rated 4-stars while the S-Presso is rated at only 3-stars. The Mirage is just way more expensive than the Wigo and I'm not sure how okay Mitsubishis are.

So there you have it.

Out.