Friday, August 09, 2024

[1087] One Car

If I could have any one car that was locally sold here in the Philippines as my daily driver for the rest of my life, what would it be?

I was originally going to answer the third generation Subaru Impreza WRX STi automatic hatchback. It combines the sportiness of a rally car with the space of a hatchback. Plus it's automatic!

However as I began writing this I realized there's an even better, more practical answer. The second generation Honda Jazz, 1.5L VTEC automatic variant.

Yes, it may be smaller than the STi, but it does have magic seats. And since it's a naturally aspirated 1.5L engine fuel consumption will be decent. Space for both cars may be an issue, but that's nothing if you add a roof rack system that can carry a bike rack and/or a cargo box.

The Honda Jazz may not be as collectible now as the Impreza WRX STi, but if it will be my daily driver for the rest of my life then I guess the simplicity of a non-turbo engine, coupled with parts availability of something I still see driving around everywhere and I guess I do want a second generation Honda Jazz as my forever car.

Of course we'll be doing modifications to it for quality of life. Maintenance and upgrades will also be done so it stays reliable and economical.

Out.