Wednesday, November 01, 2023

[1028] Road Trip

Last Sunday we went to visit my parents and my aunt in Quezon Province. This was planned for a long time and something I was looking forward to because I wanted to drive to and from the province.

Usually we go to visit either on long weekends or Saturday to Sunday with my mom's driver driving, but seeing as how this week was going to be relatively work free (because of declared holidays or leaves filed) we decided to give him some time off and I would do the driving. How bad would it be?

Not that bad. Going there we got stuck for an hour or so because of a road accident and there were times I lost my cool because of selfish drivers who'll take the right lane and cut in front of you even if they can see from far away that the road funnels into one lane. Don't tell me about zipper lanes because they're running way faster than the average speed and will perform what I call the "braking overtake" where they will go really fast, slam on the brakes and dive into your lane. Usually without warning or signal lights.

Aside from that it was a pleasant drive. Same with the ride home. Biggest difference was I told myself to just let those assholes through and not to spend too much effort or anger trying to not let them get through. So we were basically plodding along around 60kmh along the provincial roads until we got to the expressway where speeds picked up to around 80 to 100kmh depending on how fast the car in front was or how open the roads were.

It was a great trip for multiple reasons. The road trip drive was something I guess I needed because I actually feel pretty great now. Hopefully this will carry me until the Christmas holidays.

Out.