Sunday, August 27, 2023

[1013] Cross is Coming

Cross is coming. By this I mean cyclocross season is coming. As far as I know it starts around autumn or so and goes on until maybe February or March.

I got interested in cyclocross because the UCI youtube channel used to show live races. Then while I was researching on what bike to assemble I also saw a few videos comparing cyclocross (or CX) bikes versus gravel bikes. Plus I honestly think my bike frame is for cyclocross (because it's called the Tsunami Seaboard CX01 and they came out with a newer gravel frame named the Tsunami Gravel GR02).

What does this have to do with my blog post? Well I'm really really tempted to get a new wheelset for my bike. I've seen one already and it's both a 700c wheelset and it is tubeless ready. My current wheelset is 29 inches (so mountain bike basically) and it isn't tubeless ready.

Aside from getting a new wheelset I'm also seriously thinking about getting a new cassette for said new wheelset, something with less range than an 11-50, maybe 11-40 or 11-42. Then I'm also thinking of getting narrower tires. Either stick to Panaracer Gravel Kings that are either 32mm or 35mm or even go for some CX tires, not that I do CX. I'm also thinking about getting a bigger chainring. Specifically a 46T round narrow-wide chainring.

Doing these changes would make my bike a bit more of a road bike, and would probably be a bit more challenging for me to use for inclines but hey, I rarely ride outside the subdivision anyway. Also if you didn't notice by doing those changes I'll be building my bike closer to a CX build than an all-around gravel build, specially if I use tires that don't go past 33mm which is the UCI max width for CX bikes.

Out.