Thursday, August 03, 2023

[1008] The Suzuki Every Wagon

The Suzuki Every Wagon isn't available in the Philippines, but I've seen a good number of them driving around, with more of them in the provinces. Basically Japanese surplus Every Wagons or cut up Every Wagons are brought in here, converted to left-hand drive, reassembled, and re-sold here.

There's a youtube channel I've been watching recently of someone who buy, rebuilds, and sells these cars. I've watched quite a good number of his videos and while I can technically afford one of them there are some reasons why I'm hesitant to get it.

I'm worried primarily about safety, reliability, and spare parts since they're rebuilt Japanese surplus rides.  How hard would it be to get a spare part if something breaks? How well was the car rebuilt? Was the left-hand drive conversion done in proper way? The conversion part was sort of answered in this video by the youtuber I mentioned above. I'm also worried about the car's registration here. Would I have issues when the car is up for registration every year? Was it even registered legally?

On the other hand, the Every Wagons are my ideal daily driver. They're small, they can fit my family since we're only three, it has generous storage space, it has an automatic transmission, and if you pick the right model it has all-wheel drive. I'm not sure how fuel efficient a 660cc engine with 63 horsepower is considering the mileages of some of the Every Wagons being sold are way over 100,000 kilometers.

The rear seats fold flat on the ground, I could probably jury rig a bike rack for the rear. If you pick the right options customizing the Every you can get split rear folding seats. I've seen models that have a cargo basket attached on the roof.

Some of the customized Every Wagons aren't my cup of tea. I feel like they've added so much extras that it would give the poor engine a hard time.

If I actually decided to get one I'd just get one of the better variants, the DA64W. This is the model that has the rear brake, signal, and reverse lights on the C-pillar instead of on the bumper. I'd want the automatic transmission, all-wheel drive model. Front fog lamps, automatic folding side mirrors, and split rear seats. I wouldn't want the automatic sliding doors, and I don't want the leather seat covers. I'd also probably ask for a roof rack and I guess a ladder mounted on the rear door.

Out.