Wednesday, March 29, 2023

[979] Filler Car Post

Note: At this point in time all my posts are filler because of how I've decided not to divulge too many personal things about me on this blog.

I've recently had a thought exercise about options for cars with a budget below PhP900k and only automatics. Don't ask me why, I just gave myself those parameters. I'm also doing this with the thought of owning a forever car, or at least a car I'll be owning and maintaining for the next decade or two (similar to how we still own and maintain our 2001 Toyota Rav4).

I narrowed down my options by choosing mostly Japanese brands. Reasons for this are parts availability, reputation, and the fact that most Japanese brands have been here since way back when. I basically narrowed it down to these three cars, in order of priority.

  1. Toyota Wigo 1.0 VVT-i G A/T (aka the Wigo G A/T). This isn't the current top-of-the-line TRD Wigo. I chose this particular variant because it's cheaper than PhP700k, it's got the automatic transmission, and it's very practical and fuel efficient. Take note that the newest Wigo still hasn't been released here in the Philippines as of writing this blog so we're talking about the... first generation second facelift variant?
  2. Suzuki Celerio GL - AGS. This is the third generation I'm writing about. This comes in second because it is way more expensive than the Wigo, but the looks and performance are probably better? I'll be honest, the reason this comes second is it's around PhP764k for the automatic variant, and I'm not considering manuals because of traffic here in Metro Manila.
  3. Toyota Raize 1.2 E CVT (aka Raize E). From way out of nowhere, I chose this vehicle. Coming in at almost PhP850k the biggest reason why this made my list is because I've gotten used to driving around in our 2nd gen 2001 Toyota Rav4 and I probably wouldn't have too much difficulty acclimating myself to the Raize's dimensions. I've also heard positive things about this non-turbo variant, including space and fuel efficiency.
Obviously there are other cars I've considered but did not choose here are some of them that deserve a special mention.

  • Mitsubishi Mirage GLX CVT. It's more expensive than the Celerio. That's the biggest reason why this didn't make the cut. Heck, from what I've heard from others this is a better car than the Wigo. It's just that there are other cheaper options than the Mirage. Plus I'm not so sure I can trust the Mitsubishi brand as much as Toyotas. Or Suzukis for that matter.
  • Chery Tiggo 2 Pro. It looks better than the Raize and has better features, but it's also more expensive. I'm not too confident about the brand either. They were here before, then they disappeared, and now they're back again. So what happens to the car if Chery closes shop in the Philippines again?
  • Chevrolet Spark LTZ CVT. It's cheaper than the Celerio and has a more powerful engine than the Mirage. But it's a Chevy and I have no idea about their reliability nor their parts availability. I mean, there's a reason I don't see too many Chevy Sparks on our roads, unless I'm missing out on something? Might as well do more research.
Anyway I guess you could say this is an update to the car decision matrix blog post I did earlier, except this one is all about brand new cars.

Out.