Monday, March 20, 2023

[977] Zone 2 and the Art of Pacing

I think I've gotten three or four straight jogs where I've been able to have most of the jog at zone 2 (or the fat burning zone).

At first I thought the trick was to watch my heart rate so I could make sure it was always between around 132 to 142 bpm, but it wasn't the case. The key, at least for me, was pace per kilometer. I realized I should keep my pace in a certain range, around 8:45 to 9:00 minutes per kilometer.

So the past few jogs I've done I've been continuously monitoring my pace and making sure I stay within that range the whole jog, and the results have spoken for themselves. I usually start around zone 1 (warm up zone) for about 5 to 10 minutes then the rest of the jog is at zone 2.

That isn't to say much since I usually just jog around 2 km for less than 20 minutes per session. I do have days I can go to 3 km and I still spend most of the time in zone 2. I guess the big problem with jogging 3 km is my mood and mindset, because I honestly feel that that is the only one stopping me from jogging 3 km every time I go out.

Then again, I'm forty-two already and there are days I feel like I could go 3 km and there are days I just want to get my work out in.

Out.