Friday, March 10, 2023

[976] Gravel Bike Parts Wishlist and Musings

Yet another filler post, this time with new stuff I've seen online. Here we go...

  1. Coefficient Cycling All Road Handlebar. I became aware of Coefficient Cycling in one youtube video I watched. A bikefitter was saying that the Road Race handlebar was his choice as one of the best handlebars available. I check out their website and see they have an all road variant. Both handlebars are carbon fiber but it's not like I can afford one to begin with.
  2. TRP Spyre road brake caliper. DISP1010 is a post mount road bike caliper if I understand it right. This is a dual piston brake caliper that I'm hoping will be a lot better than the hybrid brake calipers I have on my bike right now. I'm more partial to this than the Avid BB7 Road calipers because the latter is still single piston. And I'm hoping that the Spyre's are of better build and quality than the "cheapo" hybrid calipers I have right now.
  3. IRC Boken Plus gravel tires. The tread pattern looks eerily similar to the Panaracer Gravel King SS I have on my bike right now, and honestly speaking I'm pretty happy with my current tires. I just want to try narrower tires and these are available in 700x32C variants. Plus Peter Stetina uses IRC Tires and I am a big fan of him. If I can't get this I'm perfectly happy getting 700x35 Panaracer Gravel King SS like I have now.
  4. Cannondale Topstone 4 Gravel Bike size SM (2023). The yellow frame and black fork also looks amazing. I'll be honest, I'm only interested in the frame and fork, and as far as I can tell they don't sell the frame only. Such a shame, not that I can afford it.
Anyway I find it funny that wheelsets and groupsets are something that isn't high on my radar. It's probably because I'm pretty happy with my current groupset, and that I can't afford a wheelset upgrade at the moment.

As it stands though, I do have plans to upgrade my gravel bike. I'm planning to start with the brakes if I can find a way to buy real TRP Spyres. Maybe upgrade the brake rotors as well.

Once that's done the next upgrade will definitely be with the wheelset and cassette. Either I assemble my own wheelset or buy a better quality wheelset, hopefully with the hubs having adapters for both QR and TA.

As for the cassette, I think I'm going to stick to 11-50 just because I'm not a gravel racer and the wide range will hopefully cover all bases for me. I'll probably source a better brand for this than the one I have right now. I'm okay with my 42T oval chainring, and I may end up regretting getting a bigger chainring because I'm not that strong as a cyclist anyway. If I do try a bigger chainring it will most likely be 46T.

I may consider upgrading the crankset as well because I honestly haven't ridden my bike that much since the left crank arm fell off. I bought a crank arm bolt but I messed up with sizing so I had to order two more bolts of different size to see what can fit and lock the crank arm in place. I'm not too confident with my bike at the moment.

Besides, I've been having good progress with jogging so my attention is there right now.

Out.