Tuesday, August 02, 2022

[930] Cannondale Topstone 4

I'm currently liking the Cannondale Topstone 4 aluminum alloy gravel bike. Specifically the Mango colored frame. I would probably get the SM sized frame even if I'm anywhere between 175 - 177 cm in height (depending on who you ask). I'd rather get a smaller frame because it's cheaper to buy a longer stem and seatpost to upsize your bike fit than it is to try to shrink a bike frame anyway.

I'm not even thinking of replacing the group set and handlebars, to be honest. I'm curious how the Microshift brifters feel, plus because I'm a fan of Yowamushi Pedals I've always wanted brifters similar to the ones used in that anime. And no, I cannot afford Campagnolo components, and I'm not that curious to try L-TWOO components either.

Of course I do plan on customizing the bike once I've ridden it for a while to know what I need to replace.

  • Redshift Sports Shockstop stem and seatpost. Stem more importantly if I realize that the bike is too small for me. I've always been curious how much more comfortable a ride will be if you have these two specific mods.
  • Juin Tech R1 hybrid brake calipers. The Topstone 4 I linked above uses mechanical disk brakes, and honestly I'd rather have hybrid calipers on my bike. Basically cable-actuated hydraulic brake calipers. I'm using a relatively cheap set on my current bike right now. I don't have a point of comparison but I am happy with the stopping power and feel of the bike. All you need to do is replace the brake calipers with these hybrids and you're done. Hopefully it's that easy.
  • Velo Orange Zeppelin Fenders. Black to match the fork, 52 mm to allow up to 42 mm wide tires.
  • Tubolito Tubo-CX/Gravel-All inner tubes. These Tubolitos are pretty durable inner tubes. Honestly I'm seriously considering going inner tubes on my bike, because I have one bottle of sealant left and I may just finish that off. Right now it seems too expensive to keep buying "cheap" sealant that lasts for a month or two before needing to top up the tire again. I'd rather get an inner tube and some patch kits because that looks like it will be cheaper in the long run. I just don't know how durable my current back-up inner tubes are.
  • Microshift H-Series 11-42 cassette. I think the stock 11-48 range for a 10-speed cassette is too wide for me. I don't mind downsizing to an 11-42 because the stock chainring is 40T so I'll still have a 1:1 gear ratio for the really heavy climbs.
  • Brooks B17 leather saddle. These are supposedly the best saddles you can get for "casual" cycling. The bike I have in mind is more for casual cycling and hopefully long distance riding so I wouldn't mind having a comfortable saddle on top of a suspension seat post.
  • OneUp Composite flat pedals. As tempted as I am to use mountain bike clipless pedals and cleats and maybe with the built in power meter, I still consider myself a casual cyclist. So I'll definitely be happy using flat pedals.
And these are some of the modifications I would do to the bike. I didn't bother writing down my usual go-to mods that include bike computer, speed and cadence sensors, dynamo hubs and lights.

Besides, I can't afford to buy a Cannondale Topstone 4.

Out.