Saturday, August 06, 2022

[932] Of Groupsets and Dream Bikes

Looks like I was wrong about the Microshift Advent X brifters.

Apparently the two shifters are along the brake lever. What I thought was a thumb button was I think where the gear shift cable goes out. This was confirmed with this youtube video I saw from Path Less Pedaled where he did say that the gear shift cable is externally routed. The video is over two years old as of this writing but I don't think Microshift would do a radical change of how their brifters are set up in two years time.

The youtube video also mentions that one of the shift levers was a bit of a challenge to push when you're in the drops. Compatibility with other derailleurs is also an issue, meaning that Advent X brifters only work with Advent X rear derailleurs.

So what does this mean?

Since this is a dream bike build then I'm probably dreaming that I'll be replacing the groupset with that Frankenstein Shimano build I wrote about a few months ago. Or even crazier the Campagnolo Ekar gravel groupset, except as far as I know that uses hydraulic brakes.

Basically the Frankenstein groupset requires you to get a Shimano GRX rear derailleur, compatible mechanical front brifters, an 11-40 cassette and at the biggest maybe a 44T oval narrow-wide chainring.

It was even more extreme before because at the time I wanted to go 2x with an 11-34 cassette and a front derailleur with a 44/30 chainring. Now that I've realized less moving parts means less things that can break, I've decided I'll be happy with a 1x.

So why do I want mechanical brifters? Because I really am a big fan of the cable actuated hydraulic disk brake calipers. As far as I know you don't need to bleed or refill them with brake fluid. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Out.