Tuesday, August 30, 2022

[935] Second Hand Car

If you've read this blog you probably know that I've been mulling over getting a second-hand, smaller, more practical car because of the current fuel prices. I've done my research and have my choices that fit this budget that I've set for myself.

Right now, aside from a budget, I'd really prefer a relatively newer car, maybe five years old at worst. It should be small and have a fuel efficient engine. Fuel efficient meaning it should get at worst maybe 8km/L in city use. Right now the Rav4 we're using gets 6km/L, which basically means it's time for me to go on a road trip and take it to SLEX and Star Toll and drive back, because when I last drove the Rav4 to and from Quezon Province I was getting over 7km/L consumption here for a few weeks.

I now have a new wrench in my plan: Should I get a newer practical car or get one of my "attainable dream cars," the Honda Jazz. I've seen some models being sold that fit my budget, but the problem is the age and mileage. Some of them are almost as old as the Rav4, while the newer ones are still over ten years old. Not only that, most of them are also over 100,000 kilometers.

Basically is it worth it to get the Honda Jazz because I really like, and want, it? How are parts availability, prices, and maintenance costs on those models? Will I have the same headaches and concerns we're experiencing with our old cars, specially since the ones I'm looking at are used cars and I have no idea how the current owners have treated them.

Or should I stick to my original plan and just get a relatively newer, smaller, car? This is the current answer I'm leaning on for the sake of practicality. Plus it's not like the car models I've picked are compromises. Those are cars I wouldn't owning either. They just don't have the Honda Jazz's "Magic Seats" that have been around since their gen 1 (GD) model.

Anyway as always I just have lots of plans but I really don't take action with them. The reason for that is something I'd rather not tell you.

Out.