Friday, August 12, 2022

[933] Gravel Bike Build

Here's a gravel bike build with links from Shopee. All I can do now is theorycraft since I have no budget and I'm quite happy with my bike. Prices as of today, 12 August 2020 but not including shipping fees. I will try to get as much of the components from as few sellers as possible.

  • Frame: Tsunami GR02 Gravel. PhP16,810.00, Bianchi Green, size 50. I'm guessing the geometry of this bike is similar to my current size 50 Tsunami Seaboard CX01 frame. This new frame uses aluminom alloy with a CF fork, internal routing, and through axle.
  • Groupset: Sensah SRX Pro 1x11. PhP5,799.00. Supposedly an improved version of my current groupset. I was considering getting the cheaper priced LTWOO GR9 1x11 (PhP4,799.00) just because it has similar shifters to Campagnolo. Honestly I've had experience with Sensah and they have gained my trust.
  • Brakes: ZTTO Cable actuated hydraulic disk brakes. PhP4,929.00, black, disk brakes with 160mm rotors. More expensive than the brakes I've got on right now but hopefully these are better. Biased with cable actuated hydraulic calipers.
  • Saddle: ZTTO Ultralight road bike saddle. PhP669.00, all black. I know for a fact I was getting hand pain with my original saddle because it was only around 25cm long. This saddle is 28cm long, but it does seem narrower than my current saddle.
  • Cassette: ZTTO MTB 11-speed 11-42 cassette. PhP1,399.00. I honestly don't know if I will ever need a rear cog bigger than 42T because honestly with my current bike I rarely use my 50T cog. When I do use it in the slight climbs here I get a maximum speed of around 12kmh.
  • Stem: ZTTO MTB +/-7 degree 100mm. PhP379.00. I currently have a 90mm stem, I'm thinking worst case I can slide my saddle around to compensate if the stem is too long.
  • Misc items batch 1. ZTTO QR seatpost clamp JX068 28.6 black. PhP149.00. ZTTO Bar end plug, black. PhP79.00. ZTTO Teal road handlebar tape. PhP369.00. I just ordered three similar products (with the bar tape being the only different one) for my current bike.
  • Crankset: ZTTO MTB BCD104 170mm crank length. PhP1,489.00. There's a bottom bracket included with the Tsunami GR02 and it looks like this crankset will fit it.
  • Pedals: ZTTO Aluminum pedals. PhP499.00, black. Yes I'm getting a lot of parts from ZTTO. They've got everything so why bother looking elsewhere?
  • Chain: ZTTO 11-speed. PhP899.00. More expensive than the chain I have, but I'm not really sure the chain I'm using is a genuine branded product.
  • Chainring: Deckas 104BCD narrow wide, oval, black, 46T. PhP569.00. Again, I'm not expecting on going on any extreme climbs so a 46T with 11-42T drivetrain would probably be good enough for whatever I have planned.
  • Wheelset. I'm seriously considering 650/27.5 wheelsets because they're smaller. Rims: Weinmann U28 32-hole rims, 29 inches. PhP2,200.00. These are supposedly tubeless ready and wide enough for gravel or mountain bike tires. Spokes: Weapon spokes, 29 inches, 72 pieces. PhP600.00. Bike hub: MEROCA 6 pawl 32 holes. PhP2,450.00, black, through axle. Tires: Continental Terra Trail ShieldWall tires, 700x35C. PhP1,400.00 each. Going away from my Panaracer Gravel Kings and trying something different and more knobbly. Inner tubes: Tubolito X-Tubo City/Tour Bike. PhP1,090.00 each. 700c 30-50mm thickness. Yes, I'm going with an inner tube, hopefully something pretty durable like these Tubolitos. Rim tape: ZTTO PVC rim tape. PhP49.00 29 inch 20mm thickness. Goodbye, tubeless setup. Though the rims are tubeless ready.
  • Drop bar: Sagmit CX-Pro Drop Bar. PhP699.00. It says it's 400mm x 580mm so I'm hoping this is the right size for me, and it does look like it's flared already.
Total cost so far is: PhP46,705.00 (before the edit it was at PhP45,065).

If I missed some crucial component then I will update this post.

Out.

Edit:

I forgot to add brake cables and shifter housing. As far as I know the Sensah groupset comes with a shift cable already. For brake cables I'll go with Jagwire brake cables and lining. PhP1560 for a set ideally black or green, these are supposedly very good brake cables. For the shifter housing I'm going with whatever these are. TRLREQ shifter cables and housing set. PhP80.00 and I'll be getting two cables since it looks like the set is for 2x.