Saturday, May 21, 2011

How I'd "Fix" the Orlando Magic

First off, I'm not an Orlando Magic fan. I like Dwight Howard's game, and I still (privately) root for Gilbert Arenas. So why would I post a blog about how I'd "fix" the Magic? Because I'm an NBA fan, and I love playing virtual GM. So without further ado...


Here's how I'd fix the Magic. Via ESPN's NBA Trade Machine.


The Orlando Magic would send Jameer Nelson, Quentin Richardson, and Ryan Anderson to the Minnesota Timberwolves.


The Minnesota Timberwolves would then send Michael Beasley, Jonny Flynn, and Darko Milicic to the Orlando Magic.


If you clicked the link you'd see that based on Hollinger's PER analysis the Magic would get -9 wins while the Wolves would get +6 wins. These are estimates only and on paper that would probably happen. But NBA games aren't played on paper.


So here's my rationale for the trade.


The Timberwolves have the 2nd pick in the 2011 Draft. They could possibly get either a PG or an SF (Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams, or Brandon Knight?) or possibly a C (Enes Kanter). By trading away Beasley, Flynn, and Milicic they free up a roster spot for their pick.


Getting Jameer Nelson means they don't necessarily have to get a PG, because they'd be getting a pretty good one already. One who has shown good leadership skills and was once an all-star.


Q-Rich and Ryan Anderson are both pretty productive players who have 3-point range. This would free up Kevin Love in the low post and help spread out the offense more. Plus these two players aren't normally starters, so whoever the Wolves draft does have a chance to start.


The Magic could come out with a starting lineup of Arenas, Reddick, Turkoglu, Milicic, and Dwight Howard. Turkoglu would be the point forward, making sure that Dwight and the former Agent Zero both get a fair amount of touches. Reddick helps space the floor, and as Darko has shown in Minnesota, he's a pretty good passer. So he could operate on the high post and just feed Dwight in the low post. Plus having a Darko-Dwight frontcourt would pretty much ensure a lot of blocks and rebounds for the Magic. I know Darko was once Dwight's frontcourt mate, but I still think it can work.


Beasley and Jonny Flynn could both come off the bench. Beasley could be the spark-off-the-bench sixth man who can play both forward spots. Flynn could come in off the bench to run a more traditional offense.


I'm not saying this trade will turn the Magic into a champion, and I'm not saying the Wolves will make the playoffs with this trade either. But this could help both teams by bringing in fresh new faces.


Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)