Monday, January 04, 2010

Google Chrome Review

Note: This review is purely my opinion only. Plus the fact that I'm using a Google-based service for my blog did not influence my judgement in any way at all.

Google Chrome is a very, very good browser. It suits my needs perfectly. There are very few things I look for in a browser, and Chrome delivers. What are these things that I am looking for?

1. Tabbed browsing. I don't know who started this tabbed browsing idea but I first experienced it using Mozilla Firefox. It made surfing the net easier because instead of clicking the taskbar to check out each webpage I opened I just had to click on the tabs on one browser. The big problem with Firefox is that it used to crash all the time wiping out all the tabs I had opened. Google Chrome has yet to crash. Plus with Chrome if one tab crashes, it's only that tab that loses data. The rest are safe.

2. Bookmarks Toolber. Another Firefox discovery I got. Makes it very convenient to find the bookmarks I want. Plus being the OC person I am, my bookmarks toolbar has folders categorized into whatever I need. Very convenient. Very efficient.

Well I guess I'm a simple person because those are the only two things I need in a browser. Now for the features that exceeded my expectations.

1. Incognito mode. You can surf and the browser won't remember anything you fill up. Even the URL. No logs into history or whatever. It's like you were never there. Perfect for surfing sites you don't want anyone to know about. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

2. More streamlined interface. Chrome gives you a very, very big space to view your webpage. No overkill menubars or huge buttons. Hell, even the bookmarks toolbar was hidden and I had to unhide it.

3. Quick links when you open a new tab. When you create a new tab Chrome displays 8 of the most commonly visited sites (or you can tack the websites you most often visit so that it displays those). Very very useful because instead of going to the bookmarks toolbar I just have to click the thumbnail of the website and it goes there. Very convenient.

Of course I do have some small gripes with Chrome. But these gripes are things I have learned to live with.

1. The find text "window" shortcut key is Ctrl. G. But to close it you have to click the X. Not like in Firefox where plressing Ctrl. G again closes the "window."

2. The downloads status isn't in a separate window. It eats the lower half of your browser. Very annoying. And if you click on it to check all downloads another tab opens. But I can live with that.

3. It gives up easily when it can't connect to the site. Plus the message it says is very vague. Cryptic even.

Well, that's it for my review of Google Chrome. How would I rate it? Definitely 4.5 out of 5. Better than Firefox, but it could be better.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)