Friday, January 20, 2006

On Swearing

Some people hate it when they hear swear words. And I guess they do have a point, it is an earful to hear them. But there are times when swearing adds "flavor" to one's sentences.

Swearing emphasizes. Take for example the sentence, "The service of that bank is really lousy." Good enough, right? It shows how displeased you are at the bank. But what if you weren't just displeased? What if you really hated the service and you wanted to emphasize that? Here's how I would say that with swear words.

"That bank's service is fucking crappy."

Take note that I don't usually swear in English. I swear in Tagalog. However for the sake of this blog I've decided to translate my thoughts into English.

Might I digress a bit? It seems that swearing in Tagalog is a lot harsher and sounds better than in English. I don't know if it's just me but the things you can come up with in Tagalog are a lot worse than in English. Rolls off the tongue much smoother, too.

Anyway. I swear. All the time. And when I do swear it means that I'm most likely comfortable with the person I am with. Or it could mean that I hate the person I am with so much that I'd rather let them think I am a brute just so we don't have to see each other again. But that's another story, and that rarely happens.

So what's wrong with swearing?

Nevermind.

Out.

6 comments:

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)