Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fr. Charlie Cruz, SVD

Yesterday I went to the wake of my uncle, Fr. Charlie Cruz, SVD. He passed away Monday, Nov. 21, 2005 of pancreatic cancer. This was the man I was talking about in one of my previous posts.

It felt surreal to see him inside a coffin when (here we go again) exactly one month ago yesterday we were in Bataan celebrating his Silver Anniversary of priesthood.

I've felt sadness at what happened but two things helped lift up my mood. The first came from Fr. Jerry Orbos' article in The Inquirer last Sunday about Fr. Charlie. Since they were classmates he left a few kind words about him and I really felt lighter inside when I read them. I don't know why.

The second came from Fr. Dan Isidro, SJ. He was my teacher / thesis advisor / confidant when I was in Naga. He gave me a passage to read from the Bible. Wisdom 3:1-9. After reading it I also felt better. Plus he was the only person to tell me that's its alright and natural to question why things happen that way. Everyone else I spoke to (who incidentally weren't priests) told me that questioning is bad and stuff. So if you're reading this, Fr. Dan, thanks.

Anyway rest in peace, Fr. Charlie. Thanks for everything.

May 24, 1945 - November 21, 2005.

Out.

3 comments:

  1. It's all good, man. We got it worse coz we're still around to put up with all the bullshit that goes on in the world.
    He's in good hands, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're not alone man. it's close to a year since my aunt passed away. I know how you feel, my aunt and I were pretty close too. when most of my family were against me, she stood by my side. I saw her die right in front of me, on that hospital bed. we stood there watching her take her last breaths.

    wish i could turn back the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys. glad to know some people got my back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)