Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Speed is Back... Big Time

Okay so last night when I got home I wanted to take a bath, but I didn't want to at once to let my feet breathe fresh air first. That was too much information for you, but...

I decided to play around with GT4. Try the license test again but this time play for fun. No pressure. No need to get a prize. Just put in some practice. And off I went in my 70s Alfa Romeo car. IB Test 15. Lap of this Italian town.

I drove fast. Too aggressive for my usual style. The car was flailing around, since it was an old model and had no driver aids. Swerving left and right, late braking, braking while turning. Things I never did before. Lo and behold, I got a bronze prize. The track that once had me stumped was conquered. Hell the best time I had before last night was 2 sec. off the bronze prize time. And now I got the test. Then I finished off the final test and got me an IB License.

After that I decided to try and race. Raced in Turbo Sports Cup. Tried the B-Spec mode only to find that the AI driving my car was worse than Ralf Schumacher (you know, hates taking risks, doesn't push it always, sometimes brilliant, sometimes crap) but instead of reseting the game I decided to finish it.

The reason why I wasn't enjoying GT4 was because I wanted to maintain a perfect record. All wins. So I forced myself to accept the fact that the AI could only do 2nd best. Then I immediately quit to the main menu so that the autosave function would kick in. So my record wasn't perfect anymore. No more pressure. Now the fun begins.

I win the race my AI lost. Drove like a madman. Kept on winning. I finished the Race of Turbo Sports and got me this sweet Mazda RX-7 which drove excellently.

I learned a few things too about my driving style and have now modified my Skyline to befit it. The following were my discoveries:

  • I am a heavy braker. So I bumped up the braking values for my Skyline. Almost max for both front and rear tires. Slightly stronger pressure applied on the rear tires.
  • I need heavy downforce. My first setting for the downforce was 8/10. When I got the RX-7 the values in downforce were 14/18. So I tried that out on the Skyline. Perfect. Better grip and maneuverability. Sweet.
  • I can brake while turning. This I discovered thanks to the aformentioned RX-7. I was turning like a madman, even with an FR car. And I wasn't spinning out. As long as I balanced the accelerator, the turn, and the brake I would make it.
  • I can drive fast if there is no pressure. Hence I had to "take one for the team" and lose a race. Just so now I can just have fun.
The Ford GT is now looking more like a reality. However now I'm also not thinking of getting it. Who knows, I might be able to get enough cash tonight to buy it. But if I don't, who cares? All I know is that with these new discoveries of mine I'll be able to push my lap times and performance to new heights.

By the way I just got a Nike One concept car. The prize from getting an IB License. Excellent car. 8 gears. 4WD. Fast acceleration. Great grip. Great handling. Sure my lap times in Midfield Racetrack was at best a 1:19:30-ish, which my mentor, Third, can easily beat. But still. I've never driven that fast in GT4. And since GT4 has slightly different physics than GT2 and GT3 I could say I'm proud of those lap times. I was able to push myself into speeds I never dreamt of achieving while maintaining control of my car.

Tonight I again use the Mazda RX-7. To race that Japanese series of 5 race. The one where aside from the prize money of each track there's a 35K bonus if you are the champ. Then maybe, just maybe, I can get the Ford GT.

Out.


Nissan R33 GT-R V-Spec LM
My "Impreza Killer" R33 Skyline.

Mazda RX-7
Mazda RX-7 that drives like a dream.

Nismo 400R
Should this stay or should this go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)