Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Gran Turismo 4 Update and Other Things

Yesterday I mentioned that in Gran Turismo 4 I bought a 2nd hand Nissan Skyline GT-R LM '96, which is basically an R32. Then I mentioned that I upgraded some of its parts. So I raced it last night. I raced in two different categories: 4WD Cup and the Japanese 90s Car Cup. Finished both. Got this experimental Toyota future-car looking thing from the 4WD Cup. And for the Jap 90s Car Cup? A Nismo 400R '96.

For those of you who don't know what that Nismo is, its basically the same Skyline I had. Only tuned. Except my Skyline is also tuned now. So I'm thinking of selling the Nismo (it sells for a little over 25k credits) since I already have an R32 Skyline. But I'm not sure what my chances are of getting another 400R. Selling it will give my funds a much needed boost, since I REALLY, REALLY WANT the Ford GT. But I do have a thing for Skylines too. So maybe I'll just hang on to it a bit longer. Maybe sell it once I have around 130k credits.

Speaking of racing, GT4 offers two new ways to win a race. A-Spec Driver's Mode or B-Spec Director's Mode. A-Spec speaks for itself. You drive the car to win the race. Its fun. Specially since the handling in general of GT4 is a lot better. B-Spec lets you play Jean Todt (Or Flavio Briatore or Eddie Jordan) where you basically just instruct your computer controlled car what to do in general. There are five pace settings, from slow to push. You can command the driver to overtake or pit in. At first try I just left the car in push mode, but that's basically because I haven't done any endurance races (endurance races can only be accessed once you have completed 25% of the game - sucks doesn't it?) where tire wear is crucial.

Oh and did I mention there's fuel involved too? Just noticed it last night. There is a fuel guage in your car, so better watch out. GT4 seems so much better than GT3, that all the creators have to do is add damage and the game would be ultra-realistic.

However Gran Turismo seems to appeal mostly to the hardcore driving fans. Those who take racing lines and races seriously. Those who want to get all gold prizes in the licensing tests. To the not so hardcore racing fan they might find GT4 a bit anal in handling. If you're an NFSU2 fan the handling here is so different from NFSU2. But these two games, despite being both racing games, are two totally different games nonetheless. It's like trying to compare digital photography with film photography. Similar but totally different.

Gran Turismo 4 is still a fun game, even for a not-so-hardcore-racing-fan like me. I'm content with getting all bronze prizes and I may not make the fastest lap times, but I still enjoy the game. Maybe when my mentor and I meet next time I might prove more of a match for him but for now I'm happy that I understand the basics of the racing line and stuff like that.

Besides, I can still beat my mentor in rally tracks in Gran Tursimo, since he doesn't enjoy rally races and i do.

On a different note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THIRD!!! Hope you and Itin are doing great down under. And I hope we get to see each other again someday. There's always blogging., e-mail, YM, and text anyway. More birthdays to come, and may you always be happy.

Out.

1 comment:

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)