Friday, March 22, 2024

[1059] Random Bike Blog

I've recently started riding my bike again. While it may just be for a few kilometers inside the subdivision I still think it's a big deal that I've actually started to ride again.

Anyway my bike is seeing wear and tear, basically a "you get what you paid for" scenario. My saddle is cracking, but it's basically a budget padded saddle I got from an international "home and life improvement retailer" for less than USD10. It still works but there is cracking on the nose section of the saddle, and I think it's due for a replacement soon.

To be honest I still want to upgrade my bike. Nothing expensive or major, just upgrades that'll improve safety and quality of ride. The saddle is one of them, and to be honest I think I'd rather go to a bike shop and buy a saddle there than getting some budget saddle.

First things first though, I really want to upgrade my wheelset, cassette, and tires. I don't want carbon fiber rims but I do want tubeless ready rims. And a better brand 11-speed cassette. I don't even mind sticking to my current cassette configuration since based on how I've been riding I do need the really easy gears.

Tires, as I've written before, will be narrower but still for "gravel" even though I don't ride gravel. I don't want slicks, and I don't think the cyclocross tires I've seen online would be useful. I've thought about mountain bike tires but from what I've read they're all wide now and even now at 38mm my tire clearance is already pretty tight. 32 to 35 is what I think is the sweet spot.

I'm also seriously considering getting a bike computer with speed and cadence sensors. Maybe those would help me ride longer when I use the bike on the trainer.

Sadly all of these upgrades I want will just stay in my want list until some amazing things happen in life financially speaking. As it stands now I have more important things I can spend whatever small amount of money I can use for personal needs.

Out.