Thursday, March 07, 2024

[1054] Another n+1 Bicycle Idea

I recently saw some videos on youtube about long tail cargo bikes, specifically the Surly Big Dummy. Now if you know me you know I'm not a fan of Surly for personal reasons I'd rather not tell you, but may include price.

Anyway I saw this video from Berm Peak about how he customized his Big Dummy and it got me thinking about it. A cargo bike would be a nice n+1 bike if you can ride to the grocery or market and safely park it somewhere. It got me thinking what I would do if I managed to get a long tail cargo bike frame.

I'll most likely stick to a 1x with low gearing since speed isn't a necessity for this. I'm guessing I'll need better gearing for climbs or heavy loads. So maybe an 11-speed 1x with a 36T chainring and 11-42 cassette would be a good compromise. Gear jumps would be a bit big but hopefully the ratios would be enough to handle said heavy loads and possible climbs.

Actually the only component I'm sure I want to place on this theoretical cargo bike would be the Velo Orange Klunker handlebars. Everything else I haven't given much thought.

So now my n+1 bike list consists of my main (gravel/cx) bike, a folding drop bar bicycle, and now this long tail cargo bike.

Out.