Wednesday, January 04, 2023

[962] Car Decision Matrix

I love checking out used car prices of different makes and models. I've also been considering if I can afford to get a relatively newer, more fuel efficient second-hand car. I've done my research both by checking reviews and fuel consumption figures online, and asking different people about their opinions about certain cars and brands.

Yet I still can't make up my mind, until a good friend of mine told me about a decision matrix. So what is a decision matrix? At its most basic it appears to be a grid where you assign different categories for columns and rows. Here's a link for a more complex explanation of what a decision matrix is.

So what's my game plan? Well I guess I need to find a few categories I've been considering for what second-hand car I want. Off the top of my head these are some of the categories I've been considering.

  • Fuel efficiency. I'll be more than happy if whatever car I pick can give me at the worst maybe 8km/L consumption when the car is used to bring my wife and daughter to their respective destinations everyday. I always take consumption figures online with a grain of salt, and I really appreciate Autodeal for always saying that their consumption tests usually just involve one person in the car and one backpack. So I basically subtract 1-2km/L from what is written. So if you get 10km/L in really bad traffic, I assume it will be 8km/L considering there will be at least 3 passengers and a lot of bags.
  • Reliability. I don't want to get a used car that will need a lot of repairs, and I know this is a big what if when getting a used car. So I'll listen to personal accounts, read reviews, and also see how readily available parts are for each car, including alternative parts that aren't made by the original manufacturer.
  • Looks. I really love hatchbacks. I have a bad feeling this will cloud my judgement but I really wish I could find a hatchback that meets all my categories. I don't want to buy a used car that's a compromise because in the end it's my money and my happiness.
  • Bang for buck. I have no idea how to explain this but I guess the most features, least mileage, and best combination of the other categories would give me the best bang for the buck.
I'll probably try to work on this decision matrix soon so I can give a solid presentation to my folks just in case they want to find out what I'm thinking of doing. And hopefully with this matrix I can finally score all car options I like and come up with a decision I won't regret.

Out.