Thursday, November 03, 2022

[948] Bicycle Brakes

I've been chatting with my friend who also has a gravel bike. We've been talking about brakes and I told him that I really want to invest in good quality brakes, specifically the SRAM Avid BB7 Road calipers. It was either that or the TRP Spyre post mount calipers.

I'm not really curious about full hydraulic brakes, and the cheap hybrid brake calipers I have aren't really cutting it for me. I asked an acquaintance to check my bike out and he adjusted my calipers, which improved braking power a bit. However I'm still not sold on these brakes.

Stopping is one of the most important things in a bike and if I'm not confident in it then I really need to invest in excellent brakes. There are some things I've been considering though.

Brake mounts. My Tsunami Seaboard CX02 frame has an IS mount in the front and post mount on the rear. Since I've been buying cheap parts online the only calipers I've gotten are most likely fit for mountain bike brake levers and not road levers. At least that's what I've been forming in my head, specially after reading about the aforementioned Avid BB7 road calipers. They sell road and mountain bike specific calipers because of the pull of the levers.

Brake mount adapters. They're pretty expensive online, but I've been seriously considering buying IS to flat and post to flat mount adapters specifically to get flat mount brake calipers that more than likely will be a better match to my road bike brake levers.

Brake pads. I think I'm getting what I paid for with these cheap resin brake pads I got online. I honestly think I should buy legitimate branded brake pads.

Brake rotors. I'm also not sure if the rotors I have are good or not, and I've been tempted to buy some "branded" rotors but I'm also not sure if those are legitimate products or just replicas that carry the brand.

Anyway my continuing experience with my bike is helping me understand things about bikes, and as I wrote before these experiences are helping me form my own opinions about bike builds and what things I want. My problem now is finding the money for these new "wants."

And yes, I've considered selling my bike but I don't want to deal with strangers.

Out.