Friday, September 23, 2022

[941] Bike Daydreaming

I'm having issues with the rear brake of my bike. On the trainer, or if lifted, the rear brake engages and stops the rear wheel from spinning. It also becomes a challenge to move the pedal when the rear brake is engaged, as it should.

However, when I'm riding and I try to engage the rear brake I rarely feel any stopping power, and after a few seconds the brake starts squealing. I've done my research, aside from bedding the brake pads I'll probably try to adjust the caliper so that the rotor is evenly in between both pads. I'm still not optimistic about it. I do hope I figure out why my bike doesn't slow down with the rear brake only. Am I still too heavy?

Anyway this has led me to the crazy idea that I should get the adapters so I can use flat mount calipers for the bike. If I'm crazy I might even try going to 180mm rotors for the front and back, since I'm already at 160mm rotors already.

Plus getting the adaptors will prep me for any future expensive upgrades, specifically GRX group and brake sets. Hell I'll even do hydraulic if it'll help my bike stop better and safer.

I'll also probably assemble a new wheelset as an upgrade. Tubeless ready rims are a must, even though I want to go with Tubolito inner tubes. And as much as I wanted to get Shimano hubs, apparently there are hubs being sold that you can replace the endcaps so they'll be compatible with either thru axle or quick release. There are more differences with the thru axle but I'll be getting the 142mm width rear ones for sure.

I've also decided I'd rather have thinner tires than my 38mm Panaracer Gravel King SS. Maybe some knobbly cyclocross 33mm tires, so that I have enough clearance on my bike frame for those old school bike fenders.

The Redshift Sports ShockStop System is something that also intrigues me. I've seen very positive reviews on youtube on how it makes riding more comfortable with the stem and seatpost.

Anyway my dreams and dream components are always changing, so I guess this is just "version X.Y" of my dream bike components.

Out.