Wednesday, September 14, 2022

[939] Bike Brakes

I just finished installing the replacement rear disk brake caliper on my bike. It took me around three hours overall because I totally forgot that I had to file away considerable material from the mounting point of the previous caliper because it wouldn't fit on the frame.

You see, the rear caliper is post mounted on the chainstay. I have no idea if these calipers I get are too thick or what but they won't fit properly if I don't file away at it. I did manage to mount it properly eventually, making sure the 160mm brake disk doesn't rub on it.

I also used the older brake pad here. That also took a considerable amount of time to remove the cotter pin, but I did manage to do everything this morning. It was pretty fulfilling but it also led me to some conclusions or goals.

I am DEFINITELY getting front flat mount to IS mount adapters and rear flat mount to post moutn adapters for my bike. Why? So I can get flat mount road bike calipers. Plus I think adapters will make it easier to remove calipers in the rear because of said fitment issue.

Getting adapters to use flat mount calipers is also good because that means most of the calipers in my favorite online store that use flat mount are for road bikes, and I use road bike brifters.

In other news, the new caliper brakes. Hard. I cannot wait to road test my bike tomorrow, do another batch of bedding in the rear brake pads because I doubt it was properly bedded in the last time, knowing how weak the rear caliper was in stopping power.

Out.