Monday, September 12, 2022

[938] Gravel Bike Thoughts

I recently just purchased the exact same brake caliper I have attached to the rear of my bike. In case you don't know, the current one leaked oil and has zero stopping power. Why did I choose to just get the same caliper?

For one thing, I discovered I had zero stopping power during one bike ride. I tried to see how poor the rear brakes were engaging and discovered that there was zero difference to my speed no matter how tight I pressed on my lever. So how was I stopping so well? The front brake.

Imagine how decent, or great, my stopping power would be if I had two functioning calipers. So I'm willing to give that hybrid brake caliper yet another shot.

My next plan is once I attach the new caliper I may keep the old one and either dismantle it for science, or buy a brake bleed kit and mineral oil and see if I can get it to work again so I have a spare caliper.

Anyway...

I think I agree with people who gave me advice about my bike. Keep the frame and upgrade everything else. When I say upgrade, I mean save up for the more expensive, better known, and better quality part. I've already seen a shop online that sells adapters so I can use flat mount brake calipers on my IS front mount and Post rear mount. I want to get flat mount calipers because they're usually for road bikes and I think one of the reasons why I need to pull my brake levers all the way is because I'm using MTB brakes with road bike levers.

Getting adapters also gives me the ability to get GRX gear if I win the lottery or something.

Out.