Sunday, July 31, 2016

[732] This is the End...

... Of the month of July in 2016! More than half a year has passed by.

Yesterday, 30th of July 2016, I decided to try to re-create a recipe for Black Sambo. It's apparently a jelly-like dessert that looks like a two-tiered cake. The lower part is a dark brown / black jelly and the upper part is the creamy jelly.

I got the idea for this because this was served as a dessert one time in the office and I was not able to try it out. I checked the internet for a recipe and decided to try and re-create it at home.

Before anything else, it was a decent success. It tastes good, I guess. I've never tried the real deal so I have no point of comparison. However I did make one really critical mistake. I didn't wait long enough for the lower part to set before pouring in the upper part. I got too excited to finish it. 
So basically it still looks two-tiered but there are places where it looks marbled.

It is an interesting effect but I don't think that's how black sambo is supposed to look. Some photos below.

Out.
Black Sambo Ingredients for the "White Part"
Some ingredients (I had already cooked the black part here)
Base Part for Black Sambo - Done
Black part done and waiting to set (Next time I will let this set for three hours)
First Attempt at Black Sambo
My first attempt at black sambo (still tastes good)