Tuesday, July 05, 2016

[729] My Thoughts on Kevin Durant

Today I found out Kevin Durant is leaving the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Golden State Warriors. After reading a lot of reports and opinions I think I can express my thoughts better now.

I have mixed emotions about this.

I am happy for him, as he has exercised his right to choose what team to play for. He also has the opportunity to maximize his career earnings.

It stops there. I feel really bad he left the Thunder. He had a great thing going there with Russell Westbrook, Steven Adams, and the rest of the crew.

I had become a fan of OKC because KD had been my keeper in an NBA Fantasy League since his sophomore season. I became an even bigger fan of the team when they drafted Russell Westbrook. They were one day f the NBA teams I root for.

Now Kevin Durant has moved on. I have ceased being his fan. I am sticking with Mr. Westbrook and the OKC Thunder. I will be with that team until maybe Westbrook leaves. 

LeBron's move to Miami was different. He was carrying the Cavs all by himself with little to mo quality help. He was taking a risk forming "The Heatles" because they were unproven in the playoffs.

Durant is moving to arguably the best team in the NBA right now. They have championship experience and the record for best regular season record.

Karl Malone and Gary Payton also had different situations. They were on the downside of their careers and were ring chasing. They also sacrificed their salaries to move to a contender.

Durant is entering his prime, and will be earning max or near max salary. He sacrifices nothing.

Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen were traded for by the Celts. As far as I know they never forced a trade, they only agreed to be traded. They also gave their previous teams some assets to help them rebuild.

Durant left without giving OKC anything. Not that he owes them.

Anyway enough rambling. I am still salty.

Out.