Saturday, June 01, 2013

Gadget Review: Dragonwar's Dragunov Mouse

I've been needing a new mouse for quite a while now. So I bought one yesterday. It's the Dragunov Ergonomic Laser Gaming Mouse from... I guess Dragonwar? This is my review of the mouse. Take note I've only had it for a day when I wrote this.
image taken from the net
Why this mouse? And why did I need a new mouse?
  • The price was right. At PhP495 it was cheap for a gaming mouse.
  • I was stupid. The store selling this had it's boxes lined beside Razer gaming mouses (mice?). The packaging looks very similar to Razer products. So I thought I was getting a Razer mouse that was on sale because it was old stock. So stupid me.
  • I need a middle mouse button for 3D. I use 3ds Max. My old mouse's middle mouse button was broken. So I couldn't use Max properly without it.
What's great about the Dragunov?
  • The price. At PhP495 it is way cheaper than the mouse I was planning to get, a Logitech wireless mouse that was exactly the same as my old mouse.
  • The dpi button. The resolutions available are 800, 1600, 2400, and 3200dpi. At the click of the dpi button, right below the mouse wheel, you can adjust how sensitive your mouse is when you move it. I can flick my mouse and the pointer on the screen could barely move an inch, or I can move my mouse an inch and the pointer with fly all over the screen. I exaggerate but that's the most basic explanation of the dpi button.
  • The feel. The grip is rubbery and pleasant to the touch. The weight requires a comfortable amount of force I need to exert to move it. Holding the mouse feels natural.
  • The cable. This mouse isn't wireless, but I like the cable. It's not made of rubber. It's made of some nylon-ish mesh that covers the wiring. Looks nice and very professional.
What's not nice about the Dragunov?
  • It's not a Razer mouse. Honestly, that's the only gripe I have. I'm not a techie guy, and I never really wanted to own a Razer. But I thought I had the chance to own one for a cheap price. Blame this on me, of course, for not reading the box properly. Then again, the nearest Razer gaming mouse beside the Dragunov at the store costs AT LEAST FIVE TIMES MORE than the Dragunov, it was around PhP2495 if I recall correctly.
  • Durability. I have no idea how long this mouse will last. My previous Logitech mouse still works, I just gave it to my wife because of the non-functioning middle-mouse button. But that Logitech is still working almost perfectly. The scroll wheel still works. Just not the f*cking middle-mouse button.
In closing, I didn't buy the Dragunov to be a gaming mouse. I bought it as an all-around mouse that I can use for my 3D projects. And if you ask me, it was definitely worth it. I'll try to post an update in a few months if it is still working or not. But for the price and the feel, it is definitely a buy.

Out.