Saturday, October 02, 2010

Need for Wheels

As I was walking home last night from Greenbelt, the rain started getting stronger. It was so strong that my jacket soon could not hold back the rain. Long story short, I got home totally wet. And it got me thinking.

I need a car.

Sure walking has it's merits. If you saw the traffic around Makati last night you'd wonder why I even thought of needing a car when walking got me where I wanted to go faster. But at least inside a car you don't get drenched in the rain. You don't get to dip your feet in really deep puddles of water. You don't have to worry about moronic car drivers who won't even let you through even if you're walking on the pedestrian lane.

Since I've got a wife and a kid on the way, I decided the best bet for a first time car (brand new, of course) would have to fall under the following categories. First it has to be spacious, it has to be able to fit my wife and I, plus our soon-to-arrive baby, a baby seat, a yaya (nanny is the loose translation) and whatever baby gear has to be brought along. Second, it has to be economical. No gas guzzlers, no fancy high-performance vehicle (for now). Finally it has to be under a million. Why? Because it'll most likely fit whatever budget I'll have.

What about second hand cars, you ask? Sure I've given it thought. But for now since this is just purely speculative, I'd rather go for brand new cars.

So based on those categories I thought of, the following cars were ones I'd considered. In no particular order...

1. Toyota Innova Diesel. It's big and spacious. It's tall so no problem with flooding. It's diesel, so I'm hoping it'll have good fuel consumption figures. Plus it's a Toyota, which means (used to mean?) it's reliable.

2. Chevrolet Cruze. Really? Chevrolet? Yes. I've seen it, it looks good. It looks spacious. It's a car. Despite the fact that Chevy isn't really a "major" competitor in the Philippines, and despite the fact that I have no idea about this car's reliability or costs this car intrigues me.

3. Suzuki APV. Much like the Innova, it's big, spacious, and tall. Unlike the Innova, this one has a 1.6L engine which supposedly gives it good fuel efficiency but makes it a bit underpowered for family out-of-town road trips.

4. Honda Jazz. Yes, it's a "small" car. But have you been inside one? It is roomy. The seats can fold in many different combinations to fit all sorts of luggage. Plus it also looks good too. I'd say this is one of the dark horses in my picks.

5. Suzuki SX4 Crossover. Yes, another Suzuki. This car just looks good. I've been reading online reviews of this car that says that it doesn't handle well or corner well. I doubt I'd need exceptional handling and cornering on a car that I plan on using to shuttle my family around.

6. Toyota Avanza. In my opinion this is a less spacious version of the APV. Plus this seems to be the vehicle of choice for taxi drivers. So if I were image conscious (which I am, to some extent) I'd probably consider this the least.

Well there it is. Six vehicles I've considered. Oh and I also based these choices from C! Magazine's pricelist. If I had to choose now what I'd get?

I'd go for a black Innova.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)