Friday, January 11, 2008

Analyzing My Fantasy Basketball Team

So the past post I put up I was basically ranting about how my fantasy league team record sucked. And it did. If got two "go-to" guys and a couple of complementary players who are "worthy" of being a go-to guy once in a while. But since this is a fantasy league, the numbers my team puts up are mediocre at best. I rarely excel in more than one (ONE!!!) fantasy league category, which I assume is assists. Most are mediocre, sub-t0-mid 40% FG percentage. Free throws are a problem. Blocks, steals. You name it, it's an issue.

So here I go. I'll give my comments so far on each player I have on my team.

Tony Parker (PG) - Would have been excellent as a UTL on my team because he provides points and some assists, but I never expected him to be a starter. Sadly the injury and knee operation Agent Zero Gilbert Arenas got has forced TP to be my starting PG. He can score and drop dimes but his numbers aren't that great.
PPG 20.6 RPG 3.20 APG 6.6

Joe Johnson (SG) - He's had an up and down year, lacking in consistency. I was expecting a PPG 24 RPG 4 APG 4 player this year after the season he had last year. But alas his numbers are somewhat down. Great assist numbers for a shooting guard, though. But that's it.
PPG 21.5 RPG 4.00 APG 5.4

Stephen Jackson (SF) - I drafted him, cut him (because he was suspended the first 7 games of the season), and got him again as a high risk / high reward player. Plus he plays 3 positions (SG, SF, PF) and he has rewarded me greatly. I never expected him to post such all-around numbers, but I feel like he'd be better off as a UTL than my SF. But I had to move him to SF because my previous starting SF (AK47) got injured. More on the latter later.
PPG 20.9 RPG 5.70 APG 3.9

Lamar Odom (PF) - My current favorite NBA player (since my old favorites are either not playing anymore or at the twilight of their careers - eg. Webber, Sprewell, Grant Hill) and someone I should not have gotten in the 2nd round. Sadly favoritism overruled my competitive nature and I got a guy oozing with talent but so damned inconsistent. He gives decent rebounding numbers but that's it. His assists are down, his scoring is down. This guy was supposed to be the Scottie Pippen to Kobe's Michael Jordan. He's brilliant one game, then commits a brain fart the next (honestly, what were you thinking when you tackled Ray Allen?!?). He should be better off as a UTL player but sadly my front court is severly lacking. PPG 13.8 RPG 9.10 APG 2.5

Tyson Chandler (C) - Centers are the hardest to come by in the NBA these recent years. I thought I had a sure thing in Chandler. He has been consistent, giving good rebounding numbers. I sorta expected more out of him in the blocks department. But he's not even getting 2 BPG. Oh well. At least he's putting up better numbers than Ben Wallace. Though I wish I got Andrew Bynum.
PPG 12.1 RPG12.10 APG 1.0

Rashad McCants (UTL) - I took a risk on this guy because early on in the season he was producing great numbers. Now I've read that he's in the coach's doghouse, plus his play has been erratic. Someone I might consider dropping if I find a better UTL replacement.
PPG 15.1 RPG 2.80 APG 2.1

Al Harrington (UTL) - Here was a player I had high hopes for. Another guy who plays mutliple positions (SF, PF, C) who I thought would flourish in the Warriors' offense. A big man with decent handles and long range, he's been inconsistent this season (which seems to be the common theme my players have) but has had flashes of brilliance. I just wish he would get his act together.
PPG 14.5 RPG5.20 APG 1.7

Darko Milicic (Bench) - Another wasted pick. He's one of my other favorite NBA players (because he's a lefty like me, and because I seem to be magnetized to players with so much potential yet the inability to consitently tap into it - eg Lamar Odom, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson) and I was hoping that moving to a new team with a run-and-gun tempo would rejuvenate Darko. He's been good with his national team but he seems to disappear in the NBA. Whatever happened to his competitive fire? Wasn't he threatening to rape the referees wives and daughters during the Euroleague Championships or something? Where is that passion in the NBA?!? Sheesh. I know I should drop him for someone else but seeing as how I am already thin in the front court I may keep him. (Although right now Travis Outlaw is a free agent in our league so... I may just drop Darko)
PPG 6.8 RPG 6.00 APG 1.2

Andrei Kirilenko (Bench) - Another high-risk pick I took. I was expecting a sort of rebirth for him this year. After his stellar Euroleague play and the fact that he and Coach Sloan of the Jazz were supposed to have talked things over. His assists are great but that's it. Defensively his numbers aren't that great anymore. His scoring is low again. And his rebounding is just a bit too low for someone who's 6 ft 9 inches. He was my starting SF but then he got this back ailment and hasn't played since, I think. Then again, inserting Captain Jack into the starting lineup may have been a good move.
PPG 11.5 RPG 6.00 APG 4.8

Gilbert Arenas (Bench) - Biggest disappointment I got. Had so much hope for this guy this year. I believe I talked about him my previous post. Just a waste for my team. I could've been great this year if Agent Zero was playing because coupled with Joe Johnson and Tony Parker we could've been secure in the points category. Oh well.
PPG 22.4 RPG4.40 APG 5.9

And that's it. I just analyed my whole fantasy league team.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)