Sunday, September 17, 2006

Unsolicited Advice

I'm sure some of you have gotten advice from others. Most of them are helpful, some are not, and there are times when you just want to ask the person if he/she is high on drugs.

I don't mind getting unsolicited advice. Provided that the advice I get is from a legit source of advice or if that person actually knows what's going on and wants to "help". It's always best to listen to advice, then decide if you want to follow through on it or not.

Take work, sometimes some of my veteran officemates will offer me tips on how to execute my 3D tasks better and faster. Of course I'll listen. They know what they're talking about, they know it works. Besides, one of the major reasons I've gotten better in 3D is because of them.

Or if someone I know just experienced something bad and he/she wants me to avoid suffering the same fate. If he/she just suddenly chimes in and tells me something, sure. I'll make a mental note out of it. Why? Because he/she has gone through with it and knows how to deal with it.

What I really hate is people who just butt in, don't have a clue what's going on, and start blasting away with their suggestions. They probably think they're helping, they probably think they know what's best. But please, who asked them? Do they know what's going on? Do they know anything about the topic?

In one of the forums I regularly go to, there's this one annoying member who keeps posting paragraphs upon paragraphs of "advice". More like orders, if you ask me. He posts them and expects people to follow them. Then if he asks another member a question and that question is not answered, he follows up on his question in a not so nice way.

Who the hell does he think he is? I don't mind if he gives his advice, I mean, it's a public forum anyway. What I don't like is that he keeps giving advice, acting like he's the damned authority on things, but I have not seen one shred of evidence to believe that he is actually an authority on whatever it is. He's got no cred, to put it in street terms.

Just keeps blasting away at the keyboard, acting like he's the best and all. Why, because he's not in the Philippines? Because he's earning dollars and getting to see sights not all of us here can see? Because his English is good? Hell, I write good too. My grammar is okay and so is my English. Do you see me writing long paragraphs? (In public forums, not in my blog. I OWN this blog, hence I can do whatever I want in this blog.)

My point is, if you want to give unsolicited advice, just make sure that you don't come off as too all-knowing.

And to people who will read this who might get offended, I'm not dissing any of you. I'm just letting out how I feel. If you can't stand the heat, get out of hell, er, the kitchen. Then again, this could be my unsolicited advice for you.

Sheesh.

Out.

1 comment:

  1. I once had a friend back in college who gave me unsolicited advice which i didn't follow and the fucker took it against me...so much so that he was talking shit behind my back. he basically stonewalled whenever i would try to open up a dialogue with him because he suddenly gave me the cold shoulder. some friend that was.

    but anyway, the thing with advice is that you can take it or leave it. that putz u talked about in the forums can type all he wants.

    hey thanks for your comment on my site by the way :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)