Tuesday, May 21, 2024

[1070] Crazy Bike Build 21 May 2024

I'm going to be writing stuff about yet another dream bike build today. Here we go.

  • Medium Ritchey Outback frameset in the Guac y Crema (which is green and cream, I think) colors. Steel bike frame with the carbon fiber fork that comes with it.
  • Redshift Sports Shockstop System suspension stem and seatpost. Maybe a 90mm or 100mm stem. Then the longest seatpost at 350mm.
  • Microshift Sword 2x10 groupset. Yes, I'm doing 2x10 for my dream bike build. Choosing the 46/29T chainring with the (11-38T) 11-34T cassette.
  • Coefficient All Road handlebars. Yep, a carbon fiber handlebar. I'm also picking the 38cm wide bars.
  • TRP HY/RD hybrid brake calipers. Mechanical pull with a hydraulic caliper. I don't think Microshift does hydraulic brifters, nor do I want to do a full hydraulic setup. Flat mount calipers since the Outback uses flat mounts.
  • Crankbrothers Candy 2 clipless pedals. I'm going with the silver color since it's only available in silver and red. I'm not picking the Candy 1 since the pedals are made of composite materials and I'd rather have alloy pedals.
  • Adidas Velosamba made with Nature mountain bike shoes. Charcoal, cloud white, spark colors. The shoes are very casual looking but there are mounting points for mountain bike style cleats.
  • Mavic Allroad Disc gravel wheelset. I'll come clean here, I really do not have any preferred wheelsets. I just need them to be tubeless ready and cheap. So the Mavics are it. None of the CF expensive wheelsets. Just simple and hopefully durable and reliable.
  • I still don't know if I'm going tubeless or not so in case I decide on inner tubes I'm definitely picking Tubolito's X-Tubo-CX/Gravel inner tubes. These are lightweight and durable and better than the usual tubes I use so might as well save some weight in some areas.
  • Panaracer Gravel King 2024 SS tires. Of course I'm going with the classic brown sidewall colors like what I have on my bike right now. I'm also choosing Panaracers as well because I'm just a casual cyclist and I don't really need to worry about the rolling resistance and other things.
  • Brooks C17 carved saddle. This isn't the leather version but I've heard great things about Brooks saddles. Since I won't be participating in any races this might be the ideal saddle for me.
I think that's as complete a bike setup as I've ever blogged about. I'm not going with the accessories, like lights, dynamo hubs, racks, and bags. Just enough components that an actual bike can be built. I'm not even going to try to total how much this might cost since I know I can't afford this at the moment. But as we always like to say, "A guy can dream, can't I?"

Out.