Wednesday, May 24, 2023

[993] My Thoughts on Sports Simulation Games

I've been playing video games since I was a teenager. I've always been partial to computer role-playing games (CRPGs) and sports simulation games like WWE Here Comes the Pain, NBA 2K18, Forza Horizon 4, and the latest I play which is Pro Cycling Manager 2022.

One big thing I've noticed when I play sports career simulation games is that they're not as realistic as I like. What I mean is that your character's development is highly unrealistic. You start out sucking ass so bad but if you play patiently and game the system your character can be one of the greatest of all time at the end of one season.

One possible solution I can think of for this unrealistic progression would be to copy the CRPG way. Start off in a similar tier as your opponents. Let's use basketball as an example. Start your career as a decent bench player with decent stats that can make you useful early on. Make the player hit goals during the season that can slightly increase his stats. Give him buffs that will make him play better or worse, similar to what happens to athletes in real life.

You can't tell me NBA 2K does this because your career player usually starts with a rating in the 60s while decent bench players probably are in the low to mid 70s. Then during the course of the season you can finish with a rating in the 80s. When the offseason comes in that's when you give the player the opportunity to give massive leaps to his stats while working on his game.

Or maybe I'm one of the few that wants to have a realistic career simulation game. I honestly don't know. Maybe give players the options of what kind of career simulation they can experience.

Out.