Monday, May 22, 2023

[992] Inner Tubes

A few days or weeks ago my bike tires finally flattened due to either lack of use or the sealant not sealing anymore. I wasn't really regularly inflating them but to see them flat on the trainer was disappointing.

I'm going to install the inner tubes I bought way back in 2021. No more tubeless and tubeless sealants. Here's why.

  • Sealant quality. I'm pretty happy with the sealant I'm using. However even though it's price has dropped considerably it is sort of a pain in the finances to reapply sealant every two to three months. Now I don't know if those more expensive and well-known sealants last longer but at the moment and with my current components I'd rather not spend on expensive sealants.
  • My rims. They're not tubeless ready. I just followed along with some videos I saw on youtube on how to convert rims to tubeless set ups. It worked, I've had tubeless tires for a little over a year, but I think I should take a break from doing this to my bike.
  • I rarely use my bike anymore. You read that right. I've been spending more time jogging lately than riding my bike. I can't get a decent ride around the village and I really don't want to ride outside during the weekdays so I'd rather jog. I mostly use my bike what my dad is here and I go ride with him for a kilometer or two.
  • I can now build a real tubeless ready wheelset with narrower tires. This is maybe the most bullshit reason but I can finally upgrade my wheelset while keeping my current wheelset as reserve. To no surprise though I'm still sticking with an 11-50T cassette, but I'll be looking for narrower tires as I wrote before. Maybe 32-35mm. Or if I can find the parts and tires, a 650b setup.
Out.